We, along with over 100 other charities and human rights organisations, have sent a joint letter to the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, urging that the UK extends a compassionate welcome to Afghan refugees.
In particular, we set out the urgent need to:
- Abandon the ‘resettlement-only’ plans set out in the Nationality and Borders Bill, that would criminalise or deny full refugee status to those who make their own journeys to seek asylum in the UK
- Grant immediate asylum to Afghans already waiting for status in the UK
- Release all Afghan nationals from detention
- Expand the family reunion route so that Afghans can be joined by other members of their family, such as parents and siblings
- Join the international effort to evacuate and resettle Afghan nationals
You can read the full text of the letter here.