The first law centres in south-west London were founded in 1974, by local people with a shared vision that everyone should have access to legal advice and justice – regardless of income.
In 2004, four law centres in Battersea, Croydon, Kingston and Tooting joined together to create South West London Law Centres. Since then our team has given vital legal advice to many 1000s of residents across the six south-west London boroughs of Croydon, Merton, Kingston, Sutton, Richmond and Wandsworth.
Sadly during the last decade, it’s become more difficult for people on low incomes to access legal advice when they need it most.
The impact of The Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 means that, since 2013, legal aid is no longer available in a number of areas of law – and even then is restricted to people on the very lowest incomes.
Without law centres like ours, these changes leave many people in our communities at risk of being locked out of legal advice and justice, simply because they can’t afford a lawyer.
We’re incredibly grateful to our supporters, volunteers, funders and sponsors whose generosity means we’re able to help local people get justice at some of the most difficult times in life. Thank you.
Our vision and mission
Our vision is to see a future where people who cannot afford a lawyer:
- Have equal access to law in order to assert and enforce their rights
- Are empowered to engage and benefit from everything that a healthy society has to offer
- Are treated equally and with dignity and respect
- Fight injustice, inequality and poverty
- Stand up for marginalised people and help those who would otherwise have no access to law or legal remedies
- Help people understand their rights and obligations
- Show people how to assert those rights and to meet those obligations
- Work within our communities to strengthen cohesion, championing social justice and equality
years helping local people get justice
people helped in 2019/20
8 in 10
households saved from eviction at court
Funders & sponsors
We couldn’t do what we do without our funders and sponsors, whose generous partnership enables us to have a life-changing impact in our community.
Your gift today could help someone get the justice they need, when they need it most.
Volunteer – pro bono
Our dedicated volunteer lawyers share their time and expertise with local people, so that everyone can have equal access to justice and can defend their rights.